Monday 16 January 2017

One Planet Development

As a student in conservation, I am fascinated by the Welsh Assembly One Planet Development.  It's a scheme that under very strict conditions, allows people to build sustainable off-grid lifestyles.  People who have the knowledge and understanding of what it means to live sustainably, and can prove that they can support themselves from their own land, are, most notably in Camarthenshire, being given planning permission to build eco-friendly homes in places where they would not normally get permission.   You can find out more about it here.

Of course, this is something I would love to do.  I've fallen in love with a piece of land, which contains woodland, and I think has true potential for an amazing way of life.  I have been investigating all sorts of avenues, including the growing of hemp (that comes with a price tag) mushrooms, and a variety of other crops.  I'd love to have a working horse, the land is quite steep, and a horse would be ideal for dealing with bracken and retrieving logs.

I've been looking into growing hemp for a variety of uses.  It can be used as a building material, oil to run vehicles on, and fuel.  All of these things would help towards a sustainable lifestyle.  However, a license to grow hemp costs around £600, regardless of the area you wish to grow.  Seems fair for a large scale producer, but for a couple of acres for self use would be totally unrealistic!

Still, I'm keen to keep investigating, and with a bit of luck will be able to make steps towards making it happen.  I would love to hear from other people with a similar mindset.  Anyway, I have an exam in Biology first thing in the morning, I should be revising!

No comments:

Post a Comment